The Black Mages have released their third album, called Darkness and Starlight in Japan.
Published by Dog Ear Records, this long-awaited album will cost you around ¥2,000 and features a total of ten tracks. Nine of them are new versions of classic Final Fantasy songs, and one is a brand new original composition. Being one of many hardcore Final Fantasy fans, I can tell you that this is indeed something we’ve waited a very long time for – and knowing Uematsu’s past history, it’ll be well worth the wait.
For those not familiar with The Black Mages, it’s a Japanese instrumental rock band formed by legendary Final Fantasy composer Nobuo Uematsu and Square Enix veterans Kenichiro Fukui and Tsuyoshi Sekito. The band re-imagines Uematsu’s classic FF songs in the style of rock and progressive metal – with heavy use of synthesizers.
1. “Opening – Bombing Mission” [Final Fantasy VII]
2. “Neo EXDEATH” [Final Fantasy V]
3. “The Extreme” [Final Fantasy VIII]
4. “Assault of the Silver Dragons” [Final Fantasy IX]
5. “KURAYAMINOKUMO” [Final Fantasy III]
6. “Distant Worlds” [Final Fantasy XI]
7. “Premonition” [Final Fantasy VIII]
8. “Grand Cross” [Final Fantasy IX]
9. “Darkness and Starlight” [Final Fantasy VI]
10. “LIFE ~ in memory of KEITEN ~” [Original Composition]
You can pre-order this album from Amazon.